For years now we have been using free and clear laundry detergent to make sure that we are eliminating as many chemicals in our household as possible. Some of the worst offenders to our health are the chemicals that we come into contact with on a daily basis. Chemicals that we are willingly putting into our bodies via our largest organ, the skin. Dangers found in lotions, soaps, and laundry detergents just to name a few. This is a simple switch that you can do (most stores will have free and clear brands as an option for comparable prices) and you can feel good about taking a proactive step towards a healthy future for your family.
For more info on the common chemicals and harmful ingredients in laundry detergent, all you need to do is Google it. There are countless articles.
One of the missed components of a free and clear detergent is the fact that there isn’t any scent to the soap. Therefore, if you are cleaning a load of stinky clothes, then …. well it’s harder to eliminate the funk. Those fragranced detergents are mainly just masking it with their scent. Raising a little boy, I started to realize that my laundry needs a little something “extra” to make sure that all the stink gets out and I am dressing him in clean, fresh smelling clothes.
Young Living sells their own Thieves line of Laundry Detergent that is plant based and completely free and clear. To me, Thieves smells like Christmas, and kills all the nasty germs so I highly recommend it. Make sure you have a YL wholesale membership for your 24% off! Check out my post on the Premium Starter Kit for more info on grabbing a membership and kit – PSK
If you are interested in making your own, here is a recipe that I love…
- 2 cups Super Washing Soda + 2 cups Baking Soda – I use Arm & Hammer brand for both
- 1 bar soap (Dr. Bronner’s or Kirks) finely grated. I use a cheese grater
- 20-30 drops YL essential oil. I typically use Lemongrass, Thieves, Lavender, Purification, Citrus Fresh or a combination of these.
- I use Lavender in any of my linen loads and my kids clothes for calm and restful sleep
- Lemongrass is a popular one for the classic clean laundry smell
- Store in a sealed glass container in your laundry room.
- Use 1 tablespoons for each load.
Do you already have a free and clear brand that you love? No problem! Add EOs directly to your liquid detergent cup before you dump it into your washing machine. I suggest adding about 4 drops to each load.
What about those handy dryer sheets that soften and de-static your laundry? DITCH THOSE TOO! They are just as terrible for your health, if not more so, and there is a very easy solution…wool dryer balls!
Purchase Here: Wool Dryer Balls
Reasons wool dryer balls are the answer:
- Zero toxins!
- You can tailor the smell to whatever essential oil you want. I love Lemongrass, Lavender, Purification, Thieves, Gentle Baby, Citrus Fresh and Stress Away. Just drop 5 drops of EOs directly onto the wool balls before drying.
- Buy them one time, and then never have to again!
- They are highly absorbent, quickly absorbing moisture from the clothes and cutting dryer time.
- Less static! (Tip: to reduce the static even more, you can put a few safety pins on your dryer balls)
*Bonus – Just leave them in your dryer for the next load and try not to lose them in your pant legs… guilty of that happening a time or two.
Stain Removal Tips:
Spray your Thieves Household Cleaner directly onto the stain, sprinkle on some baking soda and scrub with an old toothbrush.
Make a DIY stain roller for on the go! Take a 10ml glass roller ball and fill it with straight concentrated Thieves Household Cleaner. Add 5 drops of lemon essential oil to the roller and pop the top on. Keep it in your purse for those whoopsies that happen when you are out and about.
Cheers to ya’ll keeping the laundry smelling fresh, your skin healthy and clean, and the red wine in your glass!